Salem has a long tradition of providing ministry for both body and spirit. We have supported ministries for people nearby in Glendale, farther away in our Southern California region, and worldwide.
Each month, Salem focuses on two particular ministries—one of a local nature and one more global. We highlight these ministries in the Fish Catcher newsletter, in weekly bulletin announcements, and in our prayers. For some ministries, there are special volunteer activities for participation by anyone who feels so moved. For other ministries, we may have representatives come to speak with us and tell us more about their organization.
Salem’s benevolence budget supports the ministries listed below. In addition, throughout the year we coordinate the collection of additional donations for our monthly ministries, disaster relief and for special needs that arise.
- ELCA Churchwide Synod: www.elca.org
- Missionary of ELCA, Global Missions: Currently James Carter, an English teacher in Japan.
- Alms: A general fund that is used by Pastor at his discretion to assist individuals in emergency situations.
- Door of Hope: This organization works to enable homeless families to rebuild their lives by providing housing, meals and counseling. www.doorofhope.us
- First Lutheran Church (Glendale) Food Pantry
- Glendale Health Clinic: Provides free health care to low-income, uninsured adults each Tuesday evening. www.glendaleclinic.org
- Global Health Ministries: Continues the healing ministry of Jesus Christ by enhancing health care programs of Lutheran churches in other countries. www.ghm.org
- Lutheran Health Ministries of the Foothills (LHMF): Parish nurse program and other health ministry activities, including an annual “Walk for Health” and auction event. www.lhmf.org
- Lutheran Retreats, Camps & Conferences: Offers Lutheran Christian Camping and retreat programs for all ages at two main sites, El Camino Pines and Yolijwa. www.lrcchome.com
- Lutheran Social Services (LSS): Helps the homeless, the abused, and the frail, reaching those in need of counseling, emergency services, job training, transitional housing, help for the elderly, utility assistance and more. Salem regularly contributes to the LSS Food Pantry in Van Nuys. www.lsssc.org
- Mary Magdalene Project: Gives women who have been victimized by street prostitution the opportunity to turn their lives around through an intensive and comprehensive program. www.mmp.org
- New City Parish: An urban coalition of nine ELCA congregations in the Los Angeles area that focuses on transformation of communities through holistic ministries and social outreach. www.newcityparish.org
- Solheim Lutheran Home: A continuing care retirement community in Eagle Rock. www.solheimlh.org
- Sunday Community Lunch: Feeding homeless individuals each Sunday in the months of July and December; other churches in the Glendale area help the rest of the year.
- Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary: A learning community, located in Berkeley, dedicated to excellence in theological education for developing leaders for the church in the world. www.plts.edu
- XYZ Luncheons: Monthly, Wednesday lunches served for older adults by members of Salem.
Also! For over five years, a group from Salem has traveled to Mexico in August to build a new house for a family in need. Adults and youth work together to complete the house within one weekend!
Many of our members serve as volunteers with other organizations in Glendale and the surrounding area. Examples are California Medical Center, Boys and Girl Scouts, Glendale Association for the Retarded, Habitat for Humanity, Hillsides School, and the American Red Cross.
The Lord has blessed Salem with many opportunities to do ministry. Be sure to read the Fish Catcher and weekly bulletin announcements so you’re aware of upcoming ministry activities and ways that you can help!
Contemplative Prayer & Meditation
Christmas Season 2014
Door of Hope
ELCA Global Mission-Latin America and the Caribbean
San Gabriel Valley Habitat for Humanity (SGVHH)
Lutheran Malaria Initiative (LMI)
ACTS Thrift Store Opens in Pasadena
Family Promise Looking for Volunteers
Food Pantry Needs Continue!
Japan Earthquake and Tsunami
Mission to Mountain - 2011
Spring Storm Disasters, 2011
Severe Spring Storms Support