History of Salem Lutheran Church
On May 10, 1925, a handful of devout Lutheran Norwegian Americans founded the Scandinavian Lutheran Church of Glendale.
Five years later, in 1930, the first permanent meeting place was purchased. It was a five room house at 318 West Salem Street (the location is now Clancy's parking lot). Shortly afterward, the name was changed to Salem Lutheran Church. "Salem" in Hebrew means "Peace."
In 1934, a larger church building was erected on the same site for $3000. All the labor was donated by Salem members.
In 1944, the first part of the present Stocker and Brand site was purchased. The present Fellowship Hall was completed as a multipurpose facility in 1947. The Fellowship Hall served as Salem's Sanctuary for twelve years.
The story of the present campus is a story of dreams and hard work by the dedicated men and women of Salem -- who had a vision for ministry in Glendale. That story will unfold in word and picture on this site.