HISTORY of SALEM
For 95 years, Salem Lutheran Church has been a place of deep faith. Started as the Scandinavian Lutheran Church of Glendale on May 10, 1925, that small 20-member church has seen a lot of changes. Five years after its charter, the first permanent worship place was purchased on W. Salem St., and the name was changed to Salem Lutheran Church. With their own worship space, rapid growth happened so fast that the congregation tore down and rebuilt the church themselves in 1934. In 1944, the present church lot on N. Brand and Stocker St. was purchased and on Reformation Sunday 1947, the Parish Hall was dedicated. On July 12, 1959, the current Sanctuary was dedicated and a major renovation was done in 2015. To round out the campus, Christian Education and Administration buildings were dedicated in 1964.
Education of young children has always been a priority of Salem Lutheran Church, and in 1948 a Christian Day School was started for pupils in grades 1-3. Today, Salem Lutheran School has grown to serve children from Transitional Kindergarten - 8th grade.